City: Santa Cruz
Project Area: Community Development
- Minimum length of stay at project: Two weeks
- Maximum length of stay at project: No Maximum
- Maximum number of volunteers: 5 Volunteers at the same time.
- Summary of project:(aims, history, background, size and achievements)
"To become an alternative home, where the main attribute is the quality of the integral education of abandoned and unprotected children of Santa Cruz , so they can be further participants and act normally in the society as good citizens.
To contribute to the development of the children by promoting their human values as well as taking care of the children as their parents and relatives should take.
To give the children hosted an appropriate environment for their integral development in order to give them good life conditions through a suitable education and a family sense.
- To give the children accommodation with all the possible comfort to help them to develop their physical and mental potential.
- To create educational programs according to each child's level.
- To give the children medical assistance to prevent illness and to preserve their health.
- To offer the children food with the nutritive ingredients to support their growth.
- To support their psycho-social development in order to create an emotional balance then make them feel safe and confident so they can confront the challenges on their future.
- To develop permanent training programs for their personal development.
- To promote the social integration of the children by organizing activities in conjunction with other children's Homes.
- To give orientation to people and organizations of the community to serve and help at the shelter.
- To inform parents about the important role that they have in the welfare and development of their children.
- Good quality assistance
- Love and dedication to children
- The project is about a non-profit organization which funds come from the government and donations; it exists since January 31 st of 1996.
- It is a shelter for mixed gender children from 0 to 10 years old. There are about 80 children living there currently.
- The older ones (6 to 10 years old) attend to a school in the mornings and the babies stay at the shelter to receive all the necessary care.
- During the afternoons they do their school homework with tutors and volunteers that eventually help them. After they finish homework they play games, do some sports, etc, and at 6:30 they get a meal and take shower.
Rules for Volunteers:
- Volunteers must follow the shelter's rules, have respect to the meals and other activities times.
- To be responsible with the work that they were committed.
- To not obstruct the work of the staff by imposing their own ideas.
- List of Volunteer Work activities:
- To help at the kitchen, cleaning, washing dishes, etc
- To help children with homework.
- To share the activities and experiences of the children who live in the project.
- Helping children with their personal care.
- Preparing workshops. Non formal education such as handcrafts, English, art, music, theatre, etc.
- Taking the children to parks, market, zoo, etc.
- To play games with the kids and any entertaining activity.
- The project is open to new ideas or skills like painting, carpentry, music, sports or whatever the volunteers can do.